Polk County, Iowa

For several decades, and in a number of cities including Des Moines, Route 6 was split among a "City 6" through town and a more peripheral "beltway" route. This July 1998 west-facing photo of Grand Avenue is taken from a location just next to the Iowa state capitol building. Grand Avenue was the original path of Route 6 and later City 6.  In the 1950s and 1960s, the route along this stretch was on the one-way couplet of Grand and Locust.      
On the left is a 1920 postcard view of the Iowa State Capitol building looking east on Locust Street from downtown Des Moines.  On the right is the same scene from July 1998.
Route 6 still follows Euclid and Douglas Avenues across the north side of Des Moines. This early 1950s postcard advertises this motorcourt's proximity to the Veterans Hospital.

A 1950s Shell highway map of Iowa shows how Route 6 and City 6 navigated Des Moines. Today, the great highway has abandoned downtown Des Moines and follows the same path across the northern part of the city as it did in the 1950s.

Back to Iowa Counties Map