Guthrie County, Iowa

This Rock Island Railroad Depot was opened in 1897 and used until the1960s. It is rumored that the brick came from an early Rock Island depot down the road in Rock Island, Illinois. The Stewart community has hopes of restoring this structure, which is on the National Register of Historic Places. (July 1998 photo)
Right across the street from the Depot is the Hotel Stewart, built in 1907. The original structure has 23 upstairs rooms with one bath. (July 1998 photo)
A predecessor the Route 6 across Iowa was the White Pole Road. In 2004, a group of residents of Anita, Adair, Casey, Menlo, Stewart, and Dexter got together to recreate a segment of While Pole Road which features these distinctive signs at either entrance to each of the towns. Among their activities has been a progressive dinner that stops in each of the towns along the route. This sign is at the east entrance to Casey. (April 2005 photo)
Recreating the historic White Pole Road in Iowa, of course, would involve the painting of white bands on the poles along the route. Indeed, the poles have been pained along the route from Anita to Dexter. Here is an April 2005 view of the white poles looking west into Stewart.

Back to Iowa Counties Map